Saturday 19 November 2011

Life's Like This

At work, Avril Lavigne is playing on the radio, and I'm thinking about why exactly I need to make things so complicated.

And at the same time, aside from the story I wrote about the guy who loses all his teeth (Medrie tells me that this boy was a particularly well-realised character, but he should be, because he is largely based on my ex-boyfriend, who I knew very well, and I know exactly why all of his teeth fell out), I haven't had this much fun writing anything in a really long time. I mean, hell yes, making my ex lose all his teeth was amazing, but I mean, as much fun as I am having right now, at work, writing my portfolio story.

Given all the frustration I felt all semester about writing the body, it seems ironic to me that I have chosen to continue to write about the body in my final project, but that is what I am doing. Plus, I've chosen a subject that I know very little about, which is making things ridiculously hard for me. And yet, it's crazy fascinating. I've been asking my friend who is a doctor, and her husband who has a PhD in biochemistry, all kinds of questions about all kinds of cool stuff - the body is crazy! And it's such a fragile shell, this singular thing that connects us to the world and to existence and to consciousness... I can't believe how much I take it for granted every day, the fact that my body works as well as it does. And I can't believe the ways that we can manipulate science, the way we stop ourselves from manipulating too much because of those pesky ethical questions.

More than I have all semester, I desperately want to do this story right. I feel like it's the first time in a while that I might actually have something to say.

I'm not putting pressure on myself though, no, not at all. I'm just doing my thing, writing with my fountain pen. Remembering that life's like this.

1 comment:

  1. I think all the time about how amazing it is that the body does all the minute and amazing things it does continually, day after day, to keep us going. Then, I think about how little it would take to actually stop all of that -- like the time I almost choked to death at work on an After Eight. The body can do wicked amazing things, and then be stopped by a little piece of chocolate going down the wrong tube.

    ReplyDelete